Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Day 28: Buckle up! We're going to the top!

Today started out sunny and relatively calm.   Lynne and I started early to join up with our adventure guide, a 6' 6" 20 year veteran of Breckenridge ski school named Dave.  Much to Lynne's surprise and my delight, we headed up to double-black-diamond slopes on the top of Peak 8.  Wow! What a view!  The highest lift in North America,  at 12,840 feet.   And the slopes down from here are really steep!




Up here, the wind really blows. And you don't want to expose ANY skin to the danger of frostbite.   I grabbed my little camera and pointed in the general direction of a mountain (not that hard to do, actually,  can't miss).  I couldn't see the screen at all in the sunlight, not through my goggles.   And Wow! What a lucky shot!


Dave went to work on us immediately, trying to cure us of 25 years of skiing habits which were holding us back.  By the end of the day (and it was a LONG day!),  I was skiing huge bumps on the steepest slopes I have ever attempted, and skiing them with confidence,  if not not grace!   What a great day!

Tomorrow, I have some meetings with a client in Denver.  Then, this weekend is the international Snow Sculpture Festival here in Breck.  http://www.townofbreckenridge.com/index.aspx?page=532 Then, we load up the Infiniti and head back to Austin.

What an adventure this has been.


No comments: