Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 7. It's been a whole week? Only a week?

We've enjoyed our 1st week in Colorado, both our time with friends and our daughter in Fort Collins, and settling in to Breckenridge. Today was a good example of the work/life balance I will strive to maintain.  Got up real early,  worked during the morning, and then went out to ski the afternoon away.  I'm still trying out new demo ski's and enjoying the fine snow and sunshine.  

"They" say that more  snow should move in tonight.  Waiting for snowfall has always been one of my favorite feelings;  the anticipation is just delicious!  Especially when accompanied by a big bowl of spaghetti and a glass of fine wine (tonight's star:  my favorite American-made Super Tuscan, Salvestrin Retaggio).  When we lived in Colorado, or Boston, or Minneapolis,  waiting for the snow to start has always been a return to childlike excitement,  almost like waiting for the big Mr. Clause to visit at Christmas.

The skiing was really nice today, although Lynne is still under the weather so I skied alone again.  I enjoyed skiing solo;  you get to meet new people from all over the world on the lift, and savor the solitude of a special moment on the slope.  I listened to a mix of U2, Cold Play, Sting, Alpha Rev (a great Austin band!), Seal, Dave Mathews, Rob Thomas, John Mayer, and Santana while skiing. A nice soundtrack to my day.   Let me know if you'd like the playlist!

I succumbed to temptation at lunch and ate a big, fat hamburger (get this: they call it an "Epic Burger"!) and fries for lunch;  something I rarely do.  Like many temptations, the reality was less satisfying than the tease: it smelled great, tasted ok, but felt lousy 20 minutes later as I tried to regain my skiing poise down the mountain.  There's a lesson here, but I will porbably ignore it.  Next time:  Soup or salad!

Till tomorrow;  stay well and do great things! 
-Karl


No comments: