Monday, January 4, 2010

Day 6. New ski's, boots, and Mountain.


OK,  now that I am here,  I am surprised we had never skied Breckenridge all these years.  What a great mountain. Usually, we ski Keystone, Vail, Steamboat, or Big Sky in Montana.   Breck as a reputation of being COLD (sometimes it is called  "BreckenFridge") and a bit of a hassle because it is spread across 4 distinct peaks,  and you can spend a lot of time getting from where you are to where you want to be.  The snow is always deeper on the other mountain, right?




I skied all 4 peaks today,  at least a few runs per mountain, just to get a feel for the place.  They have solved the inter-peak transit problem,  and the folks who work here are some of the most friendly I have even encountered at a major ski resort.  


On the left above,  the view looking  East from Peak 8, where you can see the backside Keystone (North Peak and Outback) on the next mountain.  On the right, is one of the 4 terrain parks on the mountain, where people with a lot of skill and hopefully great health insurance show their stuff.  There were a few members of the US Olympic Team here, getting ready for Vancouver, although we didn't see Shaun White anywhere.


 The snow was deep, soft, and dry, especially up high on Peak 8, at nearly 13,000 feet, where some of these shots were taken.....   


New boots made the day a treat;  Look ma, No Pain! The boots are Atomic Hawx 120s, super stiff and cost me a small fortune.  But my feet are worth it!


I  came home to find Lynne still pretty sick, but she was happy that I enjoyed my day.   After dinner, I finished the day off with a nice hot tub,  a shot or two (ok perhaps it was three) of Talisker Scotch,  and now I am heading to bed EARLY!  Some kinds of "tired" feel bad,  and some feel really good. This definitely is the latter.

3 comments:

Jeff O said...

Glad you are having a great time! Hope Lynne is feeling better soon. Cold as heck in Austin (but no skiing). Thanks for sending me the link.

- Jeff

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun! It is really cold and KS and supposed to have a really bad snowstorm starting tonight. Good thing you are not driving KS this week. Hope Lynne is feeling better.

Laura O

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! Glad you are having fun!!